It’s no surprise that Drs. Sally and Bennett Shaywitz have founded one of the best sites around for info on dyslexia. The Yale Center for Dyslexia and Creativity (YCDC) provides terrific resources for educators, families, and kids. As the author of “Overcoming Dyslexia” and a leading figure in ongoing research on dyslexia, Sally Shaywitz focuses on both the strengths and challenges experienced by folks with dyslexia.
This wonderful site features:
- Research on dyslexia, including the rationale for calling dyslexia an “unexpected difficulty” in reading by individuals who have the intelligence and motivation to read.
- A powerful section of resources for kids, parents, educators, and policy makers. You’ll find terrific student tips and poignant stories featuring young people from a wide range of backgrounds- and all of it is printable!
- Success stories of folks who have used used their unique learning style for good (and no, they are not all actors!).
- Advocacy tools for parents and educators, including helpful strategies for raising awareness of dyslexia, social media suggestions, and more.
- A news and press section with summaries of current news articles on dyslexia and newsletters from YDCD.
I highly recommend this site as a starting point for learning more about dyslexia. YDCD is also a place where educators and families can find support in their dyslexia journey, which can be tough but oh, so rewarding!